Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 28  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Who is your favorite powder manufacturer?
Who is your favorite powder manufacturer? Or do you have a strong favorite at all? My favorite has become Hodgdon. I started out, as I'm sure many did, shooting a lot of Alliant powder. Unique, Bullseye and 2400 were burned up by the ton it seemed. Today I have a little Unique and some Bluedot, but lots of Hodgdon powders, and most of the time that's what I reach for first when setting out to load up some rounds.

Don't forget to vote.

Edited on 3/17/2003 10:14:14 AM.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
alliant, but tendencies of goin hodgdon
"If it’s about the lives of my men and their safety, I’d go through hell with a gasoline can,"
Lt. Col. Allen West, U.S. Army, Tikrit, Iraq
I don't have any 1 favorite. I try to go with whichever powder provides the best peformance for the caliber and bullet weight.

My favorites are:

IMR 4831
IMR 4350
H110
W231
Unique

Least favorites:

Norma
Blue Dot

For my rifle I'd have to say my choices are IMR and Hodgdon in that order.

When it comes to pistol there are no favorites. I use H110 for heavy bullets and high velocity and Unique for lighter bullets and plinking.

What galls me to no end is the selection of powders available at the local retail level. When I wanted to try 2400 it wasn't available and I ended up getting H110 which everyone seems to sell. I recently tried again to find someone locally selling 2400, fat chance. Another choice I wanted to try was Bullseye, try finding a retailer selling this one. They're scarce. Instead I ended up with W231, but I don't regret trying that powder.

Unique I just kind of fell into. Guess that's because I was reloading a couple calibers at the time and it made more sense to have 1 powder that worked in all. It was another choice that I don't regret.

Joed

I prefer Hodgdon. I started loading years ago and did not know there was anything but IMR. I stopped loading for a few years, and started with a psychopathic shotgun habit that included loading massive quantities of shotshells when the addiction got bad enough. It was some time after I had tried most powders on the market that I finally tried some Hodgdon Clays, the single best 12ga target load powder EVER. I was buying it in 8 pound cans because they didn't sell bigger ones, and eventually ended up using the whole Clays line in different applications. Longshot TOTALLY revolutionized loading hunting loads at home for the 12ga 2 3/4" shotgun, nothing else is even close.

Fast forward to now, loading 38 special 9x19 40S&W and 45acp the old standby Clays does a great job cheaper and cleaner than anything else I have tried. Longshot will make some MEAN loads for the above. Blue Dot is the only other powder I use for handguns that is not Hodgdon, and it only in 357 flashenboomers.

99% of my loading is pistol and shotgun. Rifle loading is still mostly IMR, but that Reloader line is looking good......

I can't decide. Hodgodon, alliant and IMR. I have distinct and entreched favorites in all.

I like hodgdon in the rifles.Except the 30-30s and 308s like ww748. Pistols I use a lot of alliant and hodgdon
The most expensive bullet there is ain’t worth a plug nickel if it don’t go where its supposed to.
Powder wise, I'd still have to go with IMR. I'm still basically a rifle shooter so primarily my powders lean to 4350 and 4064. The only Hogdon I've tried was H380 that worked great in .22-250. With pistols I'm a relative beginner but have found a special home for Unique and 2400 since I only load for .38's, .44 Spcl and .45 ACP so far. Tried one of the Reloder powders (19) but didn't get quite the accuracy I expected and burned extremely dirty. It's one real advantage seemed that it meters like a dream come true, just didn't shoot as well for me as IMR. BD

Britt, interesting about your experience with RL. It looks tempting in the reloading manuals as it gets the hightest velocity but I got tricked once before by Norma powder. Yes, it had the best velocity but it was a terrible burning powder. I couldn't get 2 bullet holes anywhere near each other.

Joed

Britt, interesting about your experience with RL. It looks tempting in the reloading manuals as it gets the hightest velocity but I got tricked once before by Norma powder. Yes, it had the best velocity but it was a terrible burning powder. I couldn't get 2 bullet holes anywhere near each other.

Joed

Hodgdon for handguns, Accurate for rifles and Alliant for shotguns. Any IMR I want here is a special order so I don't use it except in a couple of oddball rifle calibers that I shoot.

DC

Hi Joe. I've heard terrific reports of the whole Re series of powders and don't doubt them, it just wouldn't work for me. I used it for a wildcat (6.5-06) so data and powder selection was limited and even more so in the local gunshop. I'm don't worry about velocity a great deal so the Re 19 hasn't tempted me except to burn off in some .30-06. In that application, still dirty, accuracy mediocre whereas the IMR 4350 made the rifle seem to walk and talk. BD

Britt, I load for the 25-06 which shouldn't be that much different than a 6.5-06. Using the 25 for varmint hunting I always try to go with whichever powder gives me the highest velocity with the lighter bullets. I've noticed accuracy is mediocre with a lot of the powders and nothing seems to beat IMR 4350 or 4831.

Joed

Hi Joe. Recently my stepfather has asked me to start loading some varmint rounds for his Ruger #1 in .25-06. I had great success with the 6.5 and like the quarter bores, especially a Roberts, but I could use some loading advice for this one. If you have any loading advice, I'd certainly welcome it. Primarily, the Ruger will be used for prarie dogs so light bullets and high velocity will probably be the order of the day. Thanks, BD

Britt,
I have 24 years experience loading the 25-06. If you want to load it for varmints I've had the best luck with the 87 gr spitzer bullets. For powders I've had the best luck with IMR4350 and IMR4831. With the 87 gr bullet and IMR4350 if I can see a groundhog he's in mortal danger.

One of the quirks of the 25-06 is unless you load near max charges performance seems to fall off. I don't know why that is, but that has been my experience loading for 2 rifles in 25-06.

If I can be of more help let me know.

Joed

picking powder is like picking a brand of beer, cigarettes, or anything else -- if you ask 5 people, you are darn lucky to only get 5 opinions or less !
I have my own, and don't hold out a lot of hope for finding too many with similar thoughts...regardless, you asked so I will respond here --

I use Vihtavuori for all my needs and use it exclusively, UNLESS a buddy gives me some free powder -- probably have shot up 5 pounds of various free powders,{and many, many pounds of Vv.} but I like the clean single base Vihtavuori powders and the logical organization of their numbering system -- and fortunately for me, it has found wide acceptance and is now appearing in the various reloading manuals -- at least from the bullet mfgr.'s -- so I have several sources from which to obtain loads and to use for comparison with the factory manual from Vv. -- I really dislike having only one source for load data using selected components

whether another powder will squeeze out a few more f.p.s. -- I don't care -- anything I shoot at, if hit, will never know or care....being either dead, or being a target, or even a jug 100 yds. out on a berm with a new hole in it...and 1250 f.p.s. vs. 1300 f.p.s. from my .45 Colt will never make any difference.

a couple of things I do like are the lack of any need for magnum primers, the flexibility of the faster rifle / slow pistol powders to varying loads -- such as their n 105, and n 110 for moderate to heavy loads in 44's and 45 Colts -- and lately in .22 K Hornet { using n 120 for that } their n 320 has been very consistent, and in my opinion, excellent for 45 a.c.p. cast bullet loads, and their n 340 / 350 powders have done well for general purpose loads with cast and jacketed bullets in revolver and pistol.

I am less familiar with the strangely {for them} numbered powders -- 3n37, and 3n38 {but the load manual shows a lot of promise for them, especially the latter in maxed out auto pistol loads}

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Who is your favorite powder manufacturer?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 28  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 190 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.