Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: When do you think the most interesting firearms were made?
When do you think the most interesting firearms were made?

Before 1900
1901-1950
1951-present

We've seen a lot of advances in the materials that firearms are made with in the last 50 years, but do you think we've seen the most intersting or innovative firearms made? My vote is 1901-1950, there have been some very good guns made after that but they're generally just improvements over ones made before.

What do you think?
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
My vote is for 1901-1950 as well. I mean look we got the 1911,the Highpower,the old Savage M99, and there were still some good current production M92s being made at the first part of this era!
De Opresso Liber!
We can't forget all the great double action Smiths made then too, pluse the introduction of the 357 Magnum.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Hard poll John, I find all periods of firearms interesting in one area or another. Makes it hard to pick from you choices. You need a "all periods category"
God Bless
Terry
My vote would also have to go with 1901-1950. Besides the already mentioned double action Smiths, there were the great military rifles during that time such as Springfields and Enfields. However, some of the most fascinating of the area would be the superb double guns that seem to have been perfected during that era by the English gunmakers. There's not much question that the most innovative developments were the various bolt guns of the time, but the artistry side has to go with such firms as Purdey, H&H, or even Parker Bros. on our side of the pond. Not to mention the development and artistry of bolt guns from Griffin and Howe or the gorgeous Rigby Mausers. Definitely the firearms industry's shining era. Function and beauty combined. BD

I never said they would always be easy questions.
John

Molon Labe!
1885-1938 - I can't think of a significant improvement in mission oriented hardware (that was not a modificaton of a gun designed in that peirod). Starting with the Browning Single Shot (Win. High Wall) and ending with the M-1 Garand and including the Winchesters '92,94,95, the Auto-5, the Savage 99, The '03 Springfield (well OK the '98 Mauser also) the Colt 1911, The BAR and the '21 Thompson not to mention a few others.

It boggles the mind to thing how much enfluence John M. Browning had on the use and manufacture of firearms!

Onward,
Jim H.
The Technician is more important than the Technology
I can't vote on this one. I've got guns from all the periods, all shooters and like them all. The ones that attract the most attention when someone is visiting are the old flintlocks, both original and reproductions.
DC

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: When do you think the most interesting firearms were made?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 220 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.