Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 17  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What do you think of Smith and Wessons new 50 S&W Magnum?
There痴 another thread about the new 50 S&W but I thought I壇 add a poll on the front page about it to see what people think.

To recap the gun/cartridge:

FOR USE IN THE NEW S&W 500 MASTERPIECE REVOLVER.
It looks just like a really big L-frame, and is instantly recognizable as a Smith&Wesson sixgun,,,errr...fivegun.
It weighs 70 ounces.
The bbl is 8 3/8".
The gripframe is K/L round butt with a new design of HOGUE recoil absorbing grips.
Case length of the 500S&W cartridge is 1.625".
Cylinder length is 2.250"

CORBON did all the design work in this cartridge from stem to stern.
Bullet weights are tentatively set at 275HP, 400HP, and 440FP.
All velocities are well above 1600FPS with pressures not exceeding 50,000PSI

The possible answers to the question in this particular poll:
I can hardly wait to get one
A solution without a problem
50 S&W What?
Other

Don稚 forget to vote. You can see the current results here: Poll Results
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
While I am a fan of big bore revolvers, and DA ones at that, this one has me stumped. 440gr @ more than 1600fps? That is alot of power! I wonder if it is made more for african game, than for big game here in the continental US. I would think that recoil will be bad enough that there will soon be alot of them on the used gun market. At the moment I don't see anything that I could use that for that I couldn't use my 44mag to do the same thing. But I may change my mind when more literature becomes available. I guess all of these things were said about the 44mag when it first came out.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I'm sure there will be a lot sold with 5 rounds fired and 45 rounds of ammo. Ballistically this one is right up there with the 500 Linebaugh Long which from what I've read is right on the edge of controlability for highly experienced big bore handgun shooters. That's also with a Bisley grip that allows the gun to roll a bit with the recoil, in a double action with Hogues that's got to transmit a lot of force to the shooters hand and wrist.

African game seems about the only thing you'd need this for since everything in North America can be taken with current calibers, but that's what people said about the 480 when it came out a couple years ago.

I think it will be great to see them, fun to try shooting once or twice but for now I'm in the "this is a solution in search of a problem" camp.
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
i voted other, this is sooo far ahead of me, i aint ready haha. will read about it, im interrested in hearing,reading about it. would like to borrow one to try it out. im still amazed at .357! hehe
"If it’s about the lives of my men and their safety, I’d go through hell with a gasoline can,"
Lt. Col. Allen West, U.S. Army, Tikrit, Iraq
I voted "Why" for all the reasons John mentioned. Just do not see the need and it is not something normal people would do for fun.
God Bless
Terry
John
I voted other as well. I'm sure that the 50 S&W will be a hit for the guys who like the big bores & don't want to shell out the $ on the Linebaugh. There are two calibers that I just don't understand the uses for, one is the 17HMR & the other is the 50cal. I know it all comes down to preference but I wonder if there will be a big enough market for the 50S&W. I guess about a year down the road we'll be able to tell if it was a good move by S&W.

Rich Jake

Edited on 1/20/2003 4:06:00 PM.

Edited on 1/20/2003 4:10:09 PM.

If they end up releasing the gun in 44 Mag, 45 Colt and especially 480 Ruger we'll really know if it was a good move.

Even if it doesn't sell though there is some value - even if it's just marketing value - to being able to say "we make the biggest, strongest most powerful".
John

Molon Labe!
No telling what it will be... if it's a custom shop gun, it might not be any cheaper than a custom Ruger. I don't know if their attemp was to out do the Linebaugh or what, but I don't know who's gooing to want to shoot the thing, though Terry M. says it's not bad with the break attached. Wish they'd have gone with .510" rather than .500", but I guess a smaller diameter is easier to build around. Who knows, maybe it will take .50AE with moon clips.

As a side note.. I think the .17HRM would be a great small game round.
.45 Throats for Pete’s sake. www.Cylindersmith.com
Other. Its the American way. Gun makers have seen the way people have been flocking to the new big pistol rounds and they see a market. We live in a land of excess. The only way I could see myself owning one is if I won the lotto and went to Africa. Then I would use one to take the big 6 and be the first guy.

Thanks to Jim Taylor I now have a picture of the new big boy from S&W. That is one big gun. Kind of looks like a Dan Wesson hammer though.

John

Molon Labe!
I dont' guess I've had a chance to see it. Shooting a 275-440gr bullet in upwards of 1600fps and under 50,000psi sounds like a feat in itself. Wonder what that thing would do out of a 20 or 24 inch lever action rifle?
Johnny
Wonder what that thing would do out of a 20 or 24 inch lever action rifle?

The first thing that came to my mind was "hurt".

Since this has gone to a second page here's a link to a picture of the new gun:
http://www.handloads.com/images/S&W.M500.jpg
John

Molon Labe!
hi all, first post. woo-hoo

I've just recently taken up hunting. Some of my friends have been hunters for a while, but I know relatively little about guns/hunting. I have shot some target pistols and .22 cal rifles, but guns aren't my strong suit.

When we go out I will prefer to go with a crossbow and a compound hunting bow. However, there is the danger that a grizzly could come upon me unawares. I would need a weapon that I can deploy fast, and that has BIG stopping power. The natural would be a shot gun, but, if I'm wandering about with the bow in hand, will I have time to swing out the shot gun and blast, or is a handgun easier to deploy quickly. When I read about the .50 cal weapons out there, I thought, here's a nice niche between shotgun and pistol, if only I can control it! I realize I'll need lotsa practice, but that's part of the fun too. According to reviews and S&W they've managed to tame the recoil and keep the barrel kick back (up?) under 50 degrees for all loads. This performance should be even better with the hunter version (10.5 vs 8 3/8" barrel)

What might be neat is a perpendicular assualt rifle style grip to brace the front of the hunter model, then mebbe add another inch to inch and a half. Think miniature tommy gun, haha. I wonder if it could work. Corbon and S&W both say there's a fair bit of head room left in their design and that we might expect even stronger (heavier) loads in the new .50 cal chambering.

I wonder if there'll be some softer loads too, for target shooting, to practice, heck, even for home defence.

Would a rifle chambered for the .50 cal hurt the shooter, you'd think it would be easier to control, but I don't know too much about the physics involved in rifle vs hangun calibers.
Damn it man, Matsu is NOT Asian!
Welcome to the forum Matsu.

I suppose you could put some kind of grip under the barrel, my first thought was something like a MP-5K (a little smaller than a Thompson) but I've never seen it. If you had one custom made it might clamp on the underlug without to much trouble. I don't know if it would really help much though.

For lighter loads I'd go with 500 Linebaugh data, I've seen several of those pushing a 400gr bullet around 800 fps. I'm sure you could work up something simlar with the 275 gr bullets, but I haven't seen anyone doing so yet.

The 500 S&W is a very powerfull handgun cartridge but still well behind a 45-70 so I doubt a 500 S&W rifle would be any worse to shoot.
John

Molon Labe!
I see the S&W 500 mag. as more useful in a Thompson Center Encore, and /or in a lever rifle, such as the Marlin -- might get one like that -- in the current form -- no, don't need one

there are barrels available for the Encore now -- might get one of those

in a single action, a cut down case of approx. 1.300 inches would work, and would still be one up on Ruger, who needs to bring out a 5 shot .480 Ruger, preferably in a Bisley model, like the recent limited editions, in S.S.........folks are lined up for one of those already !, and Ruger seems unconvinced that it would either work ok or sell ok --

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What do you think of Smith and Wessons new 50 S&W Magnum?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 17  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 271 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.