Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 16  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What is your favorite rifle action?
I've asked favorite handgun actions but haven't seen what people think about different rifle actions. So what's your favorite rifle action type? Bolt, Lever, Slide, Semi Auto? No action because you like the black powder front stuffers? Something else?

Don't forget to cast your vote.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Bolt action. But then, I'm just getting into the world of rifles. I have a bolt 308win, break action 243, and a semi in 22lr. But the bolt action is my favorite. John, you gotta try these rifle things. A 300yd shot that would be tough with a revolver is easy with a rifle. Get steady, put the crosshairs on it, and squeeze. 1st shot, 1st hit. much easier than revolvers, but also less manly.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I think for the broad sweep of things the bolt would be prefered. For plain ol' light and handy it's hard to whip a lever gun.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
although i love my old 7x57 mauser and like the semi autos my everyday carry in the outside world is the 94 trapper in 45 long colt, light, quick as greased lightning and with the tang peep, snap shooting is so rewarding; not too mention the nine round tube mag and easy reloading, altho not like a clip but hey can't have it all in one gun thats why they make em different.
it lays up on the dashboard real nice , ain't gotta worry about bumpin the scope, and scratches add character

HEY JOHN I POSTED A NEW PICTURE WITH THE TRAPPER I AM SO FOND OF AND TURNED ON THE AVATAR BUTTON SO OTHERS COULD GET A CHUCKLE BUT IT HASN'T WORKED OUT MUST BE THE OPERATOR ON THIS END ; DUH

Lever action in model 94 big bore .375 cal. If I had to pick just one. In Michigan I can't think of a better gun.
Most of my hunting has been done with my first rifle a bolt action 30-30 but since I got that 94 I've not been able to put it down.

Edited on 1/5/2003 6:09:53 PM.

I see that it was uploaded RB, but the image won't display so there might have been a problem with the upload. You can change it from being the avatar by logging into the gallery and editing the picture.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
You know, I haven't taken this poll yet. I can't make up my mind. I have one of each and all 3 are my favorite.

I guess I will be the odd man out and go with the automatic. Of the 3 it's the one I always grab.

Johnny
I like the lever guns for their handiness and toughness thanks Marlin!

I love them all! Seriously I just bought a Taurus pump action .22 simply so I would have one of every kind. (But I still need a trapdoor Springfield).

Lever gun. Maybe too many western movies while I was growing up. (I have 3 Trapdoor Springfields. Nice).
DC

Edited on 1/6/2003 5:49:15 AM.

Like most of the poles here, this is one that has a easy answer at first, but still must be thought out to be fair. My favorite is almost certainly a bolt for practical use, a "go to" gun. It's the one that I seem to grab even when I'm thinking of maybe doing something different. However, the one slight hang-up is that I also favor the single shots for pure asthetics. I shoot BPCR with a high wall and to my mind there is no classier rifle built than a Remington Hepburn. Then again, if they burn powder and still go bang, they're all pretty great. BD

John
I Have more than one of those actions that you posted & can't really pick a favorite. I also know that I would like to have one of them that I don't have. I think you should of given a choice of " all the above" as well.
Rich Jake

Argh, good thought Rich. All of the above would have been a good addition.

That's what the forum followup to the poll is for, write in votes.
John

Molon Labe!
Have to go with the bolt.
To me, the falling block singles, side-by-sides and over-unders are better looking and lead to thoughts of europian and african "dream" adventures.
The levers are fun,fast and bring to mind all the wild times I had riding side by side with the cowboys in Louis L'amour novels while growing up.
Don't shoot shotguns much and carnival style gallerys were (sadly) before my time. Not to much to say about pumps except I'ld like to get one in a .22LR,and I don't think I'ld be comfortable with one in a centerfire round.
Only two calibers I've shot in a Semi-Auto are .22LR and .223(5.56mm) in M-16A2. The are a blast to shoot but can be tiresome to try and feed. Not the best way to get accaracy out of me 'cuz if I don't connect with the first shot I tend to sling lead all around my target.
So for me I'll take a bolt. All the others are fun to shoot and have thier places. None of them to me combine everything into a "total package" as well as a bolt. The looks,reliability,cost,ease of handling, potential for accuracy, strength of action(safty)and with practice a speedy follow up shot.
Semper Fi,
Dave
Si vis pacem para bullum.
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What is your favorite rifle action?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 16  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 705 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.