Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What is your favorite source of firearm information?
What is your favorite source of firearm information?
Books
Internet
Magazines

I would have had an option for "personal experience" but then that would win by a landslide, who wouldn't rather shoot/handle/fondle guns than read about it?
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
John,

I don't really have a favorite as I find the odd tidbit through all of those sources. Benefit of the Net is that you can draw on a lot of experience very quickly, but it cannot displace printed media. Example is Ross Seyfried. Regardless of what you may think of his attitude or writing skill(both positive to me though others find him painfully arrogant and condescending) the man has a depth of understanding and knowledge that is rare, particularly in the world of older arms. Few such as he spend time ranting on the net as they are accustomed to being compensated for sharing same.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
I start any research with my issues of Guns& Ammo. I have most of them back to the late 70's or early 80's. I cain't remember what I eat last but can remember articles in 20 year old issues. Then I search the internet, places like here to get opinions. I still like the print like MAX, that I can study.
Rick

I'm like that too Rick, when I was in school I could hardly remember the information for a test but I can look at the cover of a gun magazine I bought 10 years ago and remember the articles in it.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I can't really vote on any one source for the poll. Primarily, I'd say it was from books, but like most I pick up a smattering of all three. Any research project for me would also start with the 'zines, although mine lean to Rifle and Shooting Times. BD

'Lo all. Should have had friends and family as an option. Probably around half of everything I know I learned from my father. Most of the rest comes from the fact that we have different interests or just refinements of things I learned from him. Most of what I know about handguns and casting bullets I have learned from conversations(bull sessions)with Joe here at work. Don't much trust what people say they can make their firearm do unless I can take them to the range and make them show me, or is someone who has earned my trust. As I am just getting into this whole internet thing I find myself having to find a new way of judging the safety/truthfulnes of the info I read about. Don't post all that much but do a lot of looking and try to get a picture of the people on a site. How much of what they write passes the logic test, general attitude and how closely their info is to cross refrenced sources,such as printed materials or a friend. Just my $.02. Think everyone on this site has been of great help!
Semper Fi,
Dave
Si vis pacem para bullum.
I thought of putting friends/family as an option at one point when I was thinking of the poll but didn't get it in when I made it live. I can't say right now why I didn't 'cause I just don't remember.

There is a kind of learning curve getting used to anything you read online without taking it all at face value. You definately should double check anything questionable - checked against common sense if nothing else!

Edited on 11/2/2002 3:47:55 PM.
John

Molon Labe!
I get most of my stuff from books. I now have about a dozen reloading books/manuals. and more books on the different mini-subjects inside the whole subject of guns. Anything I find on the net or in magazines is subjected to cross-reference with the books. anything that sounds funny is researched further. And I like to just try new things out. that and shooting the bull with inteligent gun freaks like myself.
P.S. even the books are cross-referenced to each other. and the books are just a guide, just look up recipies for one load, say 180gr SPBT in a 308win with 4064 and you will find a HUGE range of data. so the info is just a guide and the lines they draw can be crossed, CAREFULLY!!!
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What is your favorite source of firearm information?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 634 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.