Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 41  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2 3  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Do you handload?
It might seem like an obvious question, and I'm sure the vast majority who visit here - and especially those who post on the forum - are handloaders, but I thought it would be interesting to see how many visit but don't handload, at least not yet.

I'm sure many shooters consider getting into reloading and browse sites and forums like this seeing what it's all about before taking the plunge. You may even know one or two yourself. I started handloading back before the Internet boom, when the NRA bulletin board system was very high tech and one of the few online resources for shooters or handloaders. Today the Internet is a virtual gold mine of information for new handloaders, hopefully we can get some interested from reading here.
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Sure do. About 5 years now. 7 Rem Mag, 7x57,
7x57AI, 338wm, 35 Rem, 28ga, 20ga, 16ga brass, 40x40 Maynard, 45-70 Paper patch. muffin

I propose a pool as to the number of no votes and hearby claim the number 1. Winner to receive John's 357 RedHawk. Free shipping and transfer, of course!

I have been reloading for almost 30 years now.
God Bless
Terry
Interesting idea Terry, of course to get into most betting pools you have to toss some cash of your own into the hat too.
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Who said anything about a betting pool. This is a free pool.

P.S. Sure hope everyknows I am funnin'

Edited on 10/17/2002 10:05:34 AM.
God Bless
Terry
Maybe if you made the prize a blackhawk or a Smith. Never been all that fond of the Ruger DA's. Just a thought... BD

Well I'll be the first to say I've just started, well I started at the beginning of the year, but I consider it just getting started. Only round loaded so far is the 45 Colt and only in my Ruger Blackhawk. Gathering gear to reload the 280 Remington right now, but future reloading will happen in the 243 Winchester and the 30-30 Winchester. And I'll be the first to say it, I DONT KNOW JACK! Well comparated to most. So when I ask those dumb questions, and I'm gonna ask'em please have patience with me. How do the unlearned learn unless they ask? Though I am trying to think(Which isn't a strong point of mine) reasonably about my questions before I ask them. So if y'all have any reload data for the 280 Remington using IMR or Hodgdon powders I am all ears. These two and Allinats powders are the most I can remember covered in my manuals.

Johnny
Johnny
Hi Johnny. Compared to some others I know, I'm also fairly new to reloading, but one suggestion I'd make for you is to check out Sierra's manual, paper or on CD. While they're not the absolute authority, they do tend to have suggested accuracy/hunting loads listed. These have always been a fairly good starting point for me. You might also check out "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. My own problem with loading manuals has always been which combination should I start with and these two resources have given me at least a general idea. Good luck. BD

Hello Johnny, welcome aboard.
Don't worry about wether a question is dumb or not, most often there are dumb answers but not dumb questions.

Starting off with just a couple powders isn't a bad idea, there are so many possible combinations it's easy to get overwhelmed. Better to keep things simple and get all the basics down first.
John

Molon Labe!
Maybe if you made the prize a blackhawk or a Smith. Never been all that fond of the Ruger DA's. Just a thought... BD

Actually I've considered trying some kind of raffel, but I don't think I'd do firearms of any kind on it - to many laws to worry about crossing, I don't need the ATF knocking on (down) my door. If I do that I'd have the prize be things like reloading components, dies, maybe casting equipment, books that sort of thing.
John

Molon Labe!
Welcome to the forums Johnny. I have fun here plus there is a lot of knowledge represented here. I think you will like it here and find it helpful.

Back when I loaded for the 270 and 30/06, I got excellent results with the slower powders such as IMR4350 and 4831 when loading medium to heavy bullets (130gr+ in the 270 and 165gr+ in the 30/06). For the ligher bullets, I used a medium burning powder such as IMR 3031 and 4064. I mention that because the 280 is very similar to those cartridges. They are all based on the 30/06 case.

Enjoy
God Bless
Terry
Thanks for the welcome fellas. I appreciate the information on the books and loads. I am also thankful for the different topics discussed. Mainly FOOTBALL!! I know there ain't much that can rate up on the fun meter besides guns but in my opinion football ain't bad. I am a college football fan, scratch that, I am an Arkansas Razorback football fan. I like friendly banter too as long as people keep it decent. We ain't as bad as some, better than others. Anyone else live or like a team in the SEC division? We play Kentuck this weekend. Ran over Auburn last weekend! Corse Alabama ran over us the week before and in our own house! Ouch!! Tennessee was a close game but we made more bad plays than they did so they won. Look forward to the topics and discussions fellas.

Johnny
How did we get so many non-handloaders here? strange...
DoD #2223 - OFCC #3122
How 'bout a lifetime supply of earwax, er, I mean beeswax?

Hi Johnny,

IMR and Hodgdon are all you need for a start with rifles. Too many types and it gets a bit overwhelming. When you're ready, give a yell and we'll tell you MOST of our secrets. One useful piece of equipment that is relatively cheap and of huge value is a Chrony. Brand name of a chronograph manufacturer. They will cost somewhere in the $75-140 range depending on model and source. Pistol shooters, well they actually age by the time a bullet gets thru the traps so maybe not so important to them, but rifles are another story.(ain't that right John?) Anyway, when the time comes, let us know what you need and we'll gab till your ears fall off.

Yeah, all y'all know that I reload. .22 K-Hornet, .44 Mag, .357 Mag now and then, 30-30 single shot and levergun, .257 Roberts, .358 Win., .405 Win, 20 & 12 Ga, in the past 7X57, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .30 Carbine & .300 Wea.

Why? 'cause I'm better than the factories......

Edited on 10/17/2002 8:26:12 PM.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Good suggestion Max, Chronys are great...until someone puts a bullet into it - even a handgun bullet wrecks them. Fortunately if you're carefull that really doesn't happen very often and as Max said they are fairly inexpensive. I, er, killed one but have had the second one for about two years now.
John

Molon Labe!
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Do you handload?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 41  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2 3  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 225 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.