Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 22  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Do you practice any martial arts?
Or more specifically martial arts other than shooting since that is also a martial art. I started training in Tae Kwon Do when I was 16, got my black belt at 18 and have trained off an on in other styles ever since. Unfortunately time and money have kept me from formally training for the last year or so, the last style I practiced was Hapkido. I've also trained in Aikido, Shotokan and a little Ninjitsu and a little exposure to a couple Kung Fu styles. Out of all of them Hapikdo is my personal favorite, it just seems to fit my personality best.

Any other martial artists out there?
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Nope, too fat, old, and lazy!
God Bless
Terry
You're never to old! (I'll let you take care of the other two... hehe)
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I started in kempo around 13, stayed in it for a few years then moved to another town and didn't keep it up. I did wrestle in jr. high and high school if that counts. I studied for a while with my dad{ex spl. forces} and I was always buying books on different styles and trying to get the best from them, but no formal other than those few years. The one style that I would actually pay money to learn would be akido. I have 3 books on that style and I like it very much, the moves feel natural and smooth and it seems to be the perfect style for defense and especially in todays lawsuit happy culture, but there isn't anyone around here who teaches it. Mix akido with some kempo and a good 44 and you should be good for most anything.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I agree Joe, Hapkido is basically a mix of Tae Kwon Do and Aikijujitsu (original Aikido). Finding a good place to study is really tough. Lots of "mall schools" around but very few that have really good instructors.

And I would tend to lump wrestling (highschool/college/olympic) into martial arts - not the entertainment that's called wrestling on TV.
John

Molon Labe!
While I am still old, fat and lazy, my son wrestled 3 years in high school. I think you are correct in including wrestling in martial arts. It is all about leveraging strentgh and out thinking your opponet. Even though I out weighed him by 70lbs and was stronger, if I ever made the mistake of letting him out from under me, it was over. Two years have passed since he wrestled and he has been lifting some and has what he calls his "man strength" now I can not handle him at all. He causes me pain! In fun of course
God Bless
Terry
I've trained in Tae Kwon Do is almost 12 years, and I've also trained in some Kempo, Hapkido, Judo, and boxing. My formal training in a school ended a couple of years ago after my second child was born. With my wife not working overtime at work took the place of much of my martial arts training time. I still enjoy martial arts work outs at home, and I am planning to resume some formal training in the future.
Also great website you have here. This is my first post, and I have found a wealth of information here.

Welcome to the forum. You will like it here. Nice folks and John does a good job. Another John, I am so confused.

Terry
God Bless
Terry
Hello John, welcome aboard. Boy that story sounds familar! Our second child is due in March, I suspect that will make finding time to shoot/reload/train even harder. More early morning trips to the woods for shooting I guess.

Thank you for your kind words about the site, I'm glad you've found it useful. There are a lot of great guys who drop by regularly to chat, I'm sure you'll fit right in.
John

Molon Labe!
Welcome John P. I wrestled from age 11 till I graduated high school then goined the Marine Corps. In the Corps we where trained on something called L.I.N.E. training. From what I could understand it is a mixture of several disciplines. Wasn't training untill Sept. of last year. After the 11th my wife asked me to teach her the basics. Still not near as good as I was while in, but much better off than if my wife hadn't expressed an intrest in self defence.
Semper Fi,
Dave
Si vis pacem para bullum.
I think its always good to do different things. I have trained in many different styles of martial arts over the years and have little things I like about each. I favor Aikijujitsu or Jujitsu with a few things thrown in. It is just like a gun, you never are probably going to need it but it never hurts to know it just in case the worst happens. Train for the worst hope for the best :)

Hey, you made it here at long last now we'll just have to see about getting you to stick around.

I too really like Aikijujitsu, but around here no one teachs it, lots of Aikido though. Hapkido is the closest that I've found, which is a great style on it's own - a decendant of Aikijujitsu actually.

One nice thing about training in a martial art vs a handgun is you can't really forget it at home when you head out the door.
John

Molon Labe!
I trained in Akido, Tai Chi, Kendo and Savat while in the military, but other than menories and a few encounters about ten years ago I haven't used it much in thirty years. Buddy

Judo and boxing. My father was a judo instructor in the corp and my granfather was a heavyweight boxer in the corp 1st division.
For about 4 years my friends and I would get together every other weekend and have or own toughman matches. For my local area 5 out of the last 8 toughman champs came from my home town. Not much else to do up here in the sticks.

i pay goons to take care of me, 8 oz. of raw meat daily, and they still whine!
"If it’s about the lives of my men and their safety, I’d go through hell with a gasoline can,"
Lt. Col. Allen West, U.S. Army, Tikrit, Iraq
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Do you practice any martial arts?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 22  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 224 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.