Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Which gun would you rather have?
A little late with the bi-weekly poll, but here goes...Which would you rather have, a gun that shoots 1 load like a laser and everything else like a shotgun pattern, or a gun that shoots everything "Ok" but nothing great? Neither? Both?

I think for me it would depend on what the gun was for. If it was a defensive handgun I'd just as soon have it shoot Ok with everything. If it was a hunting gun I'd rather have it be a tack driver with one load and just stick with that load. So my answer is both since I'd like to have one of each.

Edited on 9/16/2002 10:44:15 PM.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I suppose I would rather have the one that shoots one load like a laser, just as long as that load was a good one. I wouldn't want my .308 to only shoot great with 125gr TNT's and terrible with deer and elk loads, or my defensive 357 to only shoot great with gallery 38spl. but as long as the weapon shot great with a healthy load for the caliber that would be ok.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I voted one load like a laser but your logic is pretty good. Maybe I'll go back and vote twice for both.
God Bless
Terry
I think I've got both already
DoD #2223 - OFCC #3122
I won't touch this one, there is no right answer.
Rick

I will! One gun does all! The Mini-Gun: No target too big or too small, never too near and seldom too far...'G.E., we bring good things to light'
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Good one Max. The only mini gun I've seen in action other than on the Discovery Channel was in Dillons "Machine Gun Magic" video. That big boy looked like a fun toy, but I don't make enough to feed one at 6,000 RPM!!
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Well, they're not without fault. Heavy, awkward, recoil is rather severe, and they are VERY LOUD. In real life they DO give you the final word though.

A bit of trivia...some Cobra in Viet Nam were equipped with twin mini's in the chin turret. If they were being fired to the side the recoil was sufficient that the Aircraft Commander could not roll into a rocket run until the 3 sec. burst limiter shut the guns down. Another oddity was what we called the 'scout' configuration for the Cobra which was rockets on the outboard station of the wing stubs and XM-18's inboard. That was a self contained pod with a minigun and ammo: So for the truly depraved you could have 4 miniguns on one Cobra. They could rain on a big parade with that settup.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
so whats wrong with a shotgun ? "pattern"
heck if you want to go long and devastate put a one ounce slug in a defender
otherwise 04 buck in 3" mag is the only way to go for local target control

I voted one like a laser but only because I was thinking that the others would all be within 5 inches of the point of impact. If they are going to spray all over the landscape ala "shotgun pattern", then I'll take the gun that shoots all loads reasonably well. I usually like to take my guns and work up a load for them that does shoot "like a laser" if possible, depending upon what that gun's purpose is. Hunting guns, like a laser, defensive guns, all rounds pretty well, so I guess the correct answer for me would be both.
-- Bob

-- Who really cares if a 500 pound laser guided bomb is accurate to within 9 feet? --
For what it's worth, I actually do already have one of each. Was trying to explain the concept to my boss, not a gun guy, the other day as a way of explaining the reason for reloading. At this point, I can't in good conscience (or with my wife listening) say it's to save money. Anyway, I've a .22-250 that is a tack driver when loaded right but damned near useless with anything else, however, my .30-06 seems to handle nearly anything pretty well, just some better than others. BD

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Which gun would you rather have?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 492 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.