Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 36  [ Displaying: 31 to 36 ]  Pages: 1 2 3  [ Displaying Page 3 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionDefensive Handgun
for several years I trusted a BHP and felt fine, but last year I acquired a CZ 70 in .32 auto. After over two thousand rounds, I have absolute faith in its reliability and I really like it. It is small, light, very accurate, and a ball to shoot really well. I say to hell with power levels, I can hit you in the face at 25 yards all day long. nuff said. Buddy Little

Handgunr,
I'm about 4-6" low and left at 30' with the 2" .357, using .38+P Federal 129gr. Hydra-Shocks. The handhold that I found to correct this is from an article by Ayoob Mossad(spelling?) in a concealed carry magazine from 2000. He recommended the off hand index finger to put pressure under the trigger guard. It does work, but like I said it's not natural. I bought the snubbie because it prints less, especially in Summer. It is hard to settle on five shots, instead of the 6-10 shots the others offer, but it's much more concealable. I had been carrying a five shot .45 Colt, but it's frame is too large also. The snubbie is a hard gun to learn to shoot right, but I should do with alright with enough practice. Thanks for the pointers.

Don
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
Don,
Yeah, I do remember reading something awhile ago from Ayoob's (Mossad Ayoob, you had it right, just switched) writings regarding weakhand support. I studied some of his articles, and bought one of his books, which is around here somewhere.
I had to appear in court several times for murder trials, suicide litigations, and various other legal wranglings. Ayoob is an undisputed expert in this area, and when I first started doing this back in the early 80's, I wrote him with concerns. He is or was, doing police work around Concord, NH, but I believe he's retired, not sure. He developed and runs "The Lethal Force Institute", of which his daughter is the director.
He will (for a fee, naturally) testify on behalf of a party in court cases involving firearms realted issues. Usually, when he gets done with an opposing attorney on cross-examination, the attorney walks out of the courtroom stuttering to himself.
It was several points that he indicated to me, that, when I testified regarding the workings of a murder weapon, it dumbfounded the defense so bad, the jury actually chuckled out loud. I honestly felt bad for the guy....very embarassing. Nothing special, it's just that most folks in those circles, are "gun ignorant". Product knowledge is everything. Not to get off on a rant..........

Try this......practice shooting police "L", single action at first, then double. Police "L" is the old style, one handed shooting. Take your weak hand and wrap it around behind you either in your back pocket, or (like me) grasping your belt, pulling slightly, providing some upper body stability. There are two different grips used to do that (single & double), but I won't get into that now. What I'm trying to suggest, is to improve your one handed shooting, before going to two hands. Right now, I believe, your trying to compensate with your weak hand, for the shortcomings of your strong one.......get me ? Like I said before, I'm not there, just trying to help, based on what I think is the problem. It's a lot like a batter in a baseball game using a bat weight, prior to going up to bat.
When I shot local PPC matches several years back, I used to practice that way. Oh, I used two hands from time to time, but I adopted that "old" style, and it was amazingly humbling at first. You'll want to quit....really, but don't. Stick with it. You'll start seeing improvements that pay MAJOR dividends when you revert back to two handed shooting.
Make sure you stand 90 degrees to your target when you shoot. Like I said, start single action first, then when you get the hang of it, switch to double. 25yds is what I use now, but you can start at 15, and go to 25 later. Make sure your gun is sighted in, and use light wadcutter loads to start. If you want, I can send you my old police literature on it. Just email me.
Hope it helps...Let me know how it works....

Take care,
Bob
Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

Bob,
Thanks for all of your great advice. In the article , that I had referred to, he describes shooting the snubbies at the same 50 yard targets that were used for the 4" and 6" guns. He didn't understand why people thought the snubbie was so inaccurate and unable to shoot past 7 yards. He also stated that the 2" snubbie is just as accurate as the 4", only the short sight plane keeps you from shooting as well.

Don
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
Don,
You're always welcome, and glad to be of help. Regarding the 2", compared to the 4 and 6" guns, yeah, Ayoob's right. The difference is sight radius, velocity loss (minimal), and a slight increase in report. Accuracy wise, if you could strap on a lengthy Bo-Mar rib or somthing to extend the front sight out aways, technically, it'd shoot the same. A longer sight radius gives you a "finer" sighting ability. From a "Ransom Rest" (mechanical), there is very little difference, other than the one's I mentioned.

Take care,
Bob
Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

My experience has been that you have to find a gun to match the shooter. My 25 year old, 110 pound daughter is scared silly of my Model 29 Smith. But she loves her little 5 shot 38 snubbie, and carries it in her purse next to concealed carry permit. If the shooter cannot reliably hit a target, no matter what kind of gun or the caliber, well, you are wasting time and money and endangering the shooters life.

Having said all that, I do remember something about an FBI shootout down in Florida where several agents died taking down a couple of real serious hard cases. And the FBI folks were using the 9mm stuff.... Makes a man think.

I have carried my Gold Cup and my Model 29 in a variety of holsters. In the woods, the 29 goes in a shoulder holster. Out in town, the Gold Cup goes into one of those breakaway fanny packs. I have yet to find a conceal carry weapon or holster that you can hide while wearing jeans and t-shirt. The fanny pack looks a little bit faggy, but then that makes me less of a perceived threat to a bad guy.

When I wore a uniform (as in BDU's) I used to carry the Gold Cup in a right handed Elmer Keith holster in the small of my back. This kept the gun out of view from in front, and make it easy to reach as I am left handed and could reach into the small of my back fairly quickly. I also carried the Model 29 in the shoulder holster in plain view. Where I was, nobody cared. I got caught once in the wrong place and the wrong time and traded bullets with a group of bad guys intent on mayhem. They must have heard the muzzle blast and the bullets zinging by from the 44 magnum and decided they needed to be elsewhere at that moment in time. There might be something in having a gun that goes "boom" instead of "pop".

Find the biggest gun the shooter can handle, figure out how to hide it, get a permit and make sure you practice with it.

Rock

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionDefensive Handgun

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 36  [ Displaying: 31 to 36 ]  Pages: 1 2 3  [ Displaying Page 3 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 169 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2014 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.