Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 21  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What Straight walled cartridge dies do you prefer?
twillis suggested this question last week, it's hard to guess how this one will turn out - certainly not as lopsided as the "do you handload" question.

What Straight walled cartridge dies do you prefer?
Dillon
Herters
Hornady
Lee
Lyman
RCBS
Redding
Other

Don't forget to vote.

Current results
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Ummm, 50/50 Hornaday and Dillon, I wonder who voted for Dillon?

Edited on 11/24/2003 7:03:15 PM.
God Bless
Terry
Most of my dies are RCBS. But recently I purchased a set of Lyman M dies for the .45 Colt. It seems to be a little better than the RCBS dies. But then there is a tremendous age difference in the dies too.

I have only one Dillon die, and that is a .45 Colt crimp die. I use it for special runs of SWC's.

Joe
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
I only have 2 sets of pistol dies, Lee and Hornady... I Think I like the Hornady dies a bit better. However, I can not find fault in the Lee dies.
You shoot that squirel with that thing, all that will be left is a grease spot!
I like rcbs and lee but the more sets of hornady's I get ahold of the better I like them. so gotta vote Hornady.
The most expensive bullet there is ain’t worth a plug nickel if it don’t go where its supposed to.
I have to go with RCBS. Their dies work for me so I see no reason to change. But, I have been buying Lee Factory Crimp dies in every pistol caliber I reload.

Joed

I have always bought RCBS dies in the past, but recently have gotten some Lee dies. I like the factory crimp die, but don't like the locking rings. I have a single stage press and have become pretty good at setting them up, but the lack of proper locking rings on the Lee dies takes more time to get them right than the RCBS.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
I have to agree with BigBlue. I have always used RCBS until I kept getting .257 RAI cases stuck. When I switched to Lee the sticking problem disappeareed. As a result, I have purchased several of their carbide die sets and I just endure the adjusting rings. I do still use an RCBS seating die for .357 mag (it's already set!).

All of my dies are RCBS except for one lee set.
Hunt hard,hunt long
I use the Lee carbide dies on all of my straight wall cartridges. Haven't ever had any problems that weren't my fault. Not real fond of the locking rings but don't really think that it's something I can't live with.

lee

Split lock rings can be bought from Lyman and I think Hornady. They will fit any brand of dies with standard threads.

I've replaced a lot of lock rings. Especially the crappy ones RCBS uses now with the little brass set screw that always strips out on me.

Joe
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
#1 dillon
#2 Lee
sixgun addict
I have a set of Hornady dies for 45ACP. I need a set for my 45LC. I was going to go w/ the Hornady again just because I would be familiar w/ them. However, most of my equuipment is Lee & most rifle dies are Redding
Handloader....Rocket scienctist on a smaller scale
VictorVarmiter, first of all welcome to the forums. I think you will enjoy it here.

Take a look at your Hornady dies box. I believe it will tell you that you can load 45 Colts with the same dies, mine does. You will need a shell holder however.
God Bless
Terry
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: What Straight walled cartridge dies do you prefer?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 21  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 522 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.