Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 29  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: How often do you shoot a 22LR?
While it's fun to shoot the big boys, 44 Mags, heavy 45 Colts and such, it's also a heck of a lot of fun to plink away with a good 22LR rifle or handgun. Cheap to shoot, virtually no recoil, accurate out to any reasonable range the old 22 LR has a lot going for it. I shoot at least a few rounds of it every time I head out shooting.
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I usually only bring the 22's out for other people or unless I am going to take it out for something like prarie dogs or for some other pest {CCI CB's make for clean, quiet pest control} if someone has developed a flinch, or needs help on their basic technique, or just needs trigger time, 22's can't be beat.

Has anyone had one of the little 22s? chipmunks, crickets, the youth starter 22's. My daughter should be ready to start shooting soon so need something with a small stock. Also any ideas on a 10/22 with smaller stock and just change the stock out when she gets bigger? Also a 22 revolver with child size grips would be good. My father wouldn't get me a small rifle and just let me use the pistol, which is a big reason why I can't hit anything with any weapon with a barrel over 6"!!!!!!!
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I've seen the Chipmunk 22, very tiny about the size of my old Red Ryder BB gun. A 10/22 with a small stock, you can cut down a wood one if you have to, might work too but be sure to get the lightweight barrel. The heavy bull target barrel on the 10/22 really ads a significant amount of weight. Even the standard light one is heavier than a Chipmunk though, you'll have to use your judgement on what your daughter is ready for.

10/22's with a low 4x power scope are great, it's a lot of fun watching holes appear in whatever you're using for a target through the scope.

For the revolver something like the Taurus M94 should work well. It's built on the small frame and is very light. Stock grips aren't to bad, but you can get better ones from Hogue or Uncle Mike. The Single Six 22 LR from Ruger would be another good starter I'd think.
John

We値l raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Well I voted rarely but I think that is about to change. I orderd a new Taurus Tracker 970 in 22LR for my son. I expect we'll be shooting that a good deal. He decided on the 22LR instead of the 357 so he could get lots of practice. 550 rounds for $9.00. As you can tell, I really like the Tracker format - short cylinder and all.
God Bless
Terry
Taurus seems to get a bad rap from a lot of people but the 4 I own, or have owned, and the 3 others I've shot extensivly have all performed extremely well - my PT92 has yet to malfunction in over 5,000 rounds. I think where Taurus seems to have the most problems is their polymer frame semi autos and more recently the titanium revolvers. The steel and alloy guns seem to have a lot fewer problems, or at least I see fewer complaints about them. I'm sure you'll get decades of use from the 970.
John

Molon Labe!
I find that people either love them or hate them. Does not seem to be much in between. The stuff I read seems to indicate problems with the older models and the newer stuff getting better. My Tracker 425 is a Titanium model and I have not had any trouble with it at this point. It has 600 - 700 rounds throught it now.
God Bless
Terry
I bought a new taurus model 44 w/4" barrel and ported from the factory, blued with rubber grips. It is the only one that I have owned, and I had nothing but problems with it. with light specials it worked well, but even with factory magnums, the cylider would unlock under recoil and rotate back one round so that when you pulled the trigger for your next shot the hammer fell on an empy chamber. I called taurus about this and they told me to send it back and they would have it back to me ten days from the day they recieved it. I got it back 3 months later. a trip to the range showed the same problem with 4 different brands and bullet weights.
On the other hand, it did have beautiful blueing, was really handy to pack, and did have the porting, and a nice smooth trigger pull. But I ended up selling it. This was only about 2 years ago, maybe they have gotten better since then. JohnK could you post a pic of my 44 on the home page where the others are?
Joe44

I suspect that Taurus revolvers have continually improved, but I think you just happend to be unfortunate and got a lemon Joe. A friend of mine got one of the early model 44 Taurus, 6.5" barrel also blue steel and other than an ejector rod that used to work loose every once in a while it's been a fine gun. Or maybe he just got lucky and got a good one. I think the 4" Taurus 44 with the solid rib looks better than the longer vent rib barrel, all it needs is a nice set of Hogue hardwood grips to really look sharp.

You can send me your pic of your Taurus Joe, don't worry about the size I'll resize it to fit with the others on the home page and link it to a larger version if that's what you have it in.
John

Molon Labe!
I sold the taurus, the one I was talking about is my ruger. I think you might like the look of it, 4.8" barrel, houge monogrips, looks alot like your gp100, but the barrel just extends about 2.5" past the extended frame.
Joe44

Every chance I get. Right out the basement door. Both rifle and sixgun. I keep my M-17 loaded at all times for chance shots at crows and such.
Creeker
Joshua 1:9
I wish I could do that Lynn. We live out in the country but not really far enough to do much shooting from the house.

A pic of your custom SRH would be even better Joe, it's not every day you see one of those.
John

Molon Labe!
I used to live in place where you could open a window or a door and shoot. Boy I miss that. Killed more groundhogs that way than actually hunting them. My's wife grandfather and I used to shoot at starlings and blackbirds from the house all the time with 22s. One day, when I was at work and he was downstairs, my wife hung my 10.5 inch SBH out the window touch one off at a bird. 'Bout scared the old guy to death. His next question was "Did you get it". I envy Creeker and hope to live in a place like that again.
God Bless
Terry
Thanks in advance JohnK, I don't have a scanner, so it will be a couple of days to get over to my dad's house and get that pic sent
Joe44

How can you go wrong with a 22, still affordable, cheap ammo, I am currently shooting silhouttes with it, try it you'll like it

Welcome aboard Mac., you will enjoy it here. Been wqay too long since i shot 22 Silhoutte. Hope to start up again.
God Bless
Terry
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: How often do you shoot a 22LR?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 29  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 452 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.