Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionWhich press style do you prefer, single stage or progressive?
I prefer using a progressive, single stage press' turn out excellent ammunition and slow things down for people just learning the hobby, but they're just too slow. And while many people belive single stage press' turn out more accurate ammunition than progressive I'm not totally convinced.

Several years ago Bob Millik wrote an article comparing ammunition he carefully loaded with a single stage press to ammo loaded with the same components on a Dillon 550b. As I recall his results showed a slight edge going to the ammo loaded on the Dillon and not the single stage.

Serious benchrest shooters virtually all use single stage presses. From that you might conclude that a single stage turns out more accurate/consistant ammo. But it could be that they all use a single stage because they're a lot lighter and easier to transport to the range than a progressive.

99.9% of my handloading is for handgun calibers, if there's an accuracy advantage to using a single stage vs progressive press I doubt it will be seen with any handgun so I'll stick with my progressive.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Well John, I really can not comment as I have never loaded on a progressive press. Now if you want to buy one for me, I would be happy to render an opinion. That would need to be in 41Mag.
God Bless
Terry
I'll get right on that for you Terry, would a Dillon 1050 be enough?
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I'm not picky, a 550B would do or a Hornady LNL.
By the way, I sure miss Bob Milek!!!

Edited on 6/25/2002 10:34:27 AM.
God Bless
Terry
Me too, Mr Milek is missed. I think he was an under appreciated writer, I always found his work to be top notch.
John

Molon Labe!
I loaded with a turret press for years. Then I bought a single stage for rifle cartridges. Now days anything I can do on the progressive, I do. Still use the others but I like the progessive simply because of the amount of ammo. I load. BTW Bob M. is missed.
Creeker
Joshua 1:9
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionWhich press style do you prefer, single stage or progressive?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 686 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.