Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Have you ever worn out a firearm?
Time for the bi-weekly poll. Have you ever worn out a firearm? Not broken or abused one, anyone can do that, but have you shot so many rounds through one that parts needed to be replaced? I haven't, I've put many thousands of rounds though several different guns but never enough through any single one to wear it out. To many more 300gr loads through my M29 and it might need some repair though - that may fall under the abuse category though.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I've burned out a couple of high intensity barrels. Blew a gouge in the back of a Colt Python barrel and replaced it. Had S&W replace the barrel and cylinder of a Mod. 25 45 Colt to get more uniform cylinder mouths.
I don't know it's possible to wear a firearm out in one generation.
Jim

Here is the closest I have come. I have, oops, my son has a Win model 12 16ga that belonged to a great uncle, my granddad, my dad (briefly), me and now my son. Right after I got it the slide release quit working. It was a little worn and required some type of adjustment. Don't think that counts a worn out.
God Bless
Terry
I have an old Stevens/Savage 12 ga that's getting like that. My dad bought it when he was a kid (back when kids could actually do that kind of thing) and it's living in my safe now. Pretty much no bluing left, but it still works, external choke hanging off the end of the barrel and all.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Man, the old folks must have loved the external chokes! Mine has a Poly Choke on it. The bluing is about 60% and the stock finish is about 50%. My great uncle was an avid hunter. It has seen alot of use over the years but is still smooth and shoots great (wish I could). I have often thought of getting it reblued and refinished, shorten the stock and install a recoil pad and removing the Poly Choke and having it tubed. I believe any collector value it had went out the door with the addition of the choke.
God Bless
Terry
My dad's got a Winchester 38-55 lever action carbine with a 'worn out' barrel. Of course, it's pitted from who knows how many years of blackpower and neglect (I believe it was manufactured in 1898).

That might come under the heading of abuse as well.
DoD #2223 - OFCC #3122
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Have you ever worn out a firearm?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 722 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2018 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.