Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionHow often do you buy new load manuals?
New poll time, some foolish answers to this one just to get people talking about it.

Whenever a new one is available
Every couple years
Never, I get my data online
Every 10 years wether I need it or not
Other

For me it's every few years, or when a manufacturer comes out with one that's a major change from the old one. For example I have 2 different Speer manuals that have identical data, I should have picked up a different manual instead of a later Speer, ah 20/20 hindsight.

See the current results.
Don't forget to go vote.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I get them when a new one comes out

///

for powder, I use Vihtavuori, and they used to have a new soft cover book each year, a little after New Year's -- although I have not seen a 2003 book yet -- and I do get their hard cover books, {current ed. is # 3}

the hardcover books by the bullet manufacturers I obtain when printed, as these have data with many powders, and while not directly transferable to other jacketed bullets, certainly they provide a good starting point for any jacketed bullet -- and jacketed data may be used with cast bullets, especially the start and mid level loads.

the books by the powder companies, whose products I rarely or never use, I do not buy since the data is not useful to me, although I did obtain a few __ Hodgdon's, Accurate, and maybe one other

last -- I have the Lee book, #'s 1 and 2 , Lyman #'s 47, 48, and Handgun books, and also the Oregon Trail Bullets reloading manual for their own cast lead bullets -- which is the only reloading manual I know of which deals solely with cast bullets.

having a lot of manuals affords a lot of comfort in knowing any new load for a new gun, at max. is sane and safe -- I really dislike having just one source for load data, not knowing if that one source is out on the bleeding edge or not.

I buy manuals from the bullet manufacturers when the data looks different and/or there is data on a number of cartridges not previously available from that manufacturer. Also, I'll buy a new manual if it has taken a more advanced approach to loading than a previous manual.

Mike Krall

when a new powder comes out thats not covered by the old one
sixgun addict
I had to vote "other". I used to buy when the new ones came out, then I'd grab the freebies too. Now I am sorely behind on my manuals because of financial problems the last bunch of years. (Haven't been shooting or loading much so the lack of new manuals hasn't hurt me too bad.)
Now days I still grab the freebies, and I get a lot of info from the web that I won't get from the major reloading manual publishers.
I plan on buying new and up to date manuals when I can though.
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
The freebie manuals aren't bad, but I wish more of the powder/bullet companies would come out with inexpensive annual manuals like Hodgdon does. Most of what it has can be found on the web for free, but it does have some additional data.

Maybe Alliant, Accurate and IMR will catch on and start doing it too.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
What an interesting question. My first load manual was purchased in 1978. I bought the next one in 2002 so I guess every 22 years I buy a new one whether I need it or not.

However, I promise the next one will be sooner.

Joed

Just bought a new Hornady 5th edition set from Midway.
They have them on closeout for $12.88. The 6th edition is out.
But considering my budget this will be the newest one I have.
When I checked availability they had just over 50 sets left.

J
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
saw the post re the new Hornady 6 th edition Reloading Manual --

don't know who else has them, but Horndady just sold me one, via telephone {tele. # is on the Hdy. web site}

the 5 th ed. is very good, and I'm sure the 6 th ed. came out so soon after to incorporate new cartridges and new powders which have come on the market in the last 2 years.

Although I think it is nice to have the info at your fingertips, I don't see any need for a new manual. This sight is chock full of info, I downloaded Winchesters PDF manual, You can get Hodgdon's info online, and most manufacturers are happy to answer you questions if you call them. There is just too much "free" info out there, and I am a cheapskate. That being said, I may pick up some new manuals on CD in the near future.
Mike
I usually get a new Hard copy manual every five years or so depending on what is new. But I always pick-up the little pamphlet types every chance I get.I have them from ablut every powder maker out there. Buddy Little

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionHow often do you buy new load manuals?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 457 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.