Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionEPA and Wheel weights
I just read in LoadYourOwn.com forum, that the EPA was requiring garages to sell the used wheel weights to certified recyclers.
http://www.loadyourown.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000422.html
Has anybody heard of this?

Edited on 6/1/2003 12:32:37 AM.
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
I still go pick up my weekly 100+ pounds at the local tire shop. If there is such a requirement they haven't got the word out to the users.

DC

Maybe it's only some state EPAs that are requiring it not the federal EPA.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
It's been a while since I've been out scrounging wheel weights, but I have not heard anything like this. Not even in gun hating Ilinois.
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
HOWDY!

I have noticed that all but one tire store here in Laramie, WY will not allow you to have wheel weights due to the EPA regs. The one store gladly gives them away, speaking of which I need to go get some more again soon.

Barry

I do know that walmart wont give them out anymore due to the regulations. They give them to the local salvage yard who is willing to sell them. Isnt that dumb!
sixgun addict
It's not only dumb,it sux out loud! Like bullet casters are polluting the planet. Or maybe this is "lead control". If you don't have bullets you can't shoot. ROB
So many guns,so little time.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS
YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO LET THE LUNATIC LEFT KNOW THAT WE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE UP TO.
I STILL LIKE THE SCENE IN PATRIOTS WHERE MEL GIBSON IS MELTING DOWN HIS SONS TOY SOLDIERS TO CAST ONE MORE ROUND FOR THE REDCOATS TO DIGEST

YOU EVER NOTICE HOW A COUPLE OF ZINC WHEEL WEIGHTS REALLY F...'S UP A GOOD POT O LEAD?
DO YOU HAVE SOME MAGICAL SPELL TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BEFORE THEY GET IN THE POT?

You could be right about the regulations, but I don't know. When I was hunting for wheelweights, I couldn't find a tire shop that would give them to me or sell them to me. They all said they had a contract with someone to buy them. So I just go to the recycling places and buy them for about $0.10 a pound.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I can smell a "lead control" coming over here too. Luckily,very few people cast so I keep collecting all I can without problems. It´s not about guns here, may be different over there,dang.

A total lead ban for hunting bullets is not far away in this side of the pond. It will be true in Sweden within a couple of years. Ammo factories like Lapua are happily advocating that with Naturalis bullets,also in a local gun show their representative just introduced a "drinkable gun oil". I do not know the brand...they import it. Still,the environmental hystery is getting out of hands,business,antis and treehuggers are trying to take all advantage they can.

I need a permit to store my horseshit outside in winter. Figure that?
"Wild Horses" @ The Rolling Stones
They must think your horses eat lead or nuclear waste.I guess you have to pay a fee for that permit? Another 'hidden tax' to take your money. Rob
So many guns,so little time.
Take my money? No way. It´s all been spent on guns and ammo lol.
Not as funny as it sounds. Several years ago we had an incident in our area where a couple dozen horses and cows died mysteriously. It was eventually tracked to stack emissions from a lead smelter on the other side of the river, about 5-10 miles upwind. The smelter was eventually forced to close.

I imagine over the years the smelter had 'distributed' considerable more lead over the neighboring landscape tham shooters would ever be able to accomplish. It was also probably in a more deadly form as bullets are heavy chunks that tend to settle in the grouns while the fire aerosols and dust from the smelter would stick to growing plants and be ingested.

I get many of my personal WW from picking them up in the streets while I take my daily constitutional. I have learned which streets and days (The day before the streetsweeper)are 'best'. An hour's walk will generally produce 4-8 pounds.

Hello Wagner,

welcome to the Forum.

No jokes about lead here, I just don´t like the way how hunters and shooters are being made guilty for lead emission. Lead will stay here forever, no matter where we hide it.

Wheelweight control looks like gun control to me.
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionEPA and Wheel weights

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 152 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2014 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.