Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Posts: 28  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Why did you first start reloading?
Why did you start reloading?
To save money
To duplicate factory ammo
To get ammo for an obsolete caliber
To get better performance than factory ammo
All of the above
Other

When I first started reloading it was to save money, period. Factory 45 ACP and 357 Magnum rounds were, and still are in many cases, quite expensive so my main reason was to save money, anything else was secondary. Of course like most of us it didn't stay that way, and I didn't really end up saving much since I just shot twice as much.

Don't forget to go vote.

Check poll results

Edited on 5/18/2003 8:50:16 AM.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
most all the above, didnt want to duplicate factory rounds necessarily. but to shoot like i want to, ya gotta have Bill Gates money, which i am close but i need a few extra bucks to be there hahaha.
"If it’s about the lives of my men and their safety, I’d go through hell with a gasoline can,"
Lt. Col. Allen West, U.S. Army, Tikrit, Iraq
My original reason was to lower the cost of each trigger pull so as to allow more shooting at the same budget. Plus I kinda liked the idea of making something myself, albeit with manufactured components, that would go bang and actually work. I figured that at the rate I was shooting, it would take a dozen or so years and I would be ahead. I GOT THE FEVER!! 18 months later I had worked off the cost of the original investment and was ahead, and I was shooting a WHOLE LOT MORE. Now when I buy a new caliber, I just go ahead and buy the dies and etc. No sense in fighting it, I am going to buy them sooner or later anyway. It is a terrible disease, I am suffering through. I have shot more bullets since getting into reloading(in 1987) than I ever did while in the Army, and that's saying something, cause I shot a LOT in the Vietnam thing.

A truly terrible disease, is this relaoding fever!

Buddy Little

My original reason was to lower the cost of each trigger pull so as to allow more shooting at the same budget. Plus I kinda liked the idea of making something myself, albeit with manufactured components, that would go bang and actually work.

Same here. I started with a Lee Loader for 25-06 which was hard to find back when I bought it. Now I seem to be growing every month by adding a new caliber or some tool to make things easier.

And don't let me forget that now I'm thinking of loading shotgun.

Joed

Another spin on the same question would be; have the reasons you reload/handload changed since you first started doing it?

For me it certainly has, loading cheaper isn't even all that much of a consideration - I load for every handgun (excluding 22's) I have so the cost of factory ammo no longer matters. Now I load to create exactly the ammo I want and to experiment with bullet/powder/caliber combinations that there is little or no data for.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
I picked up reloading from my dad and uncle,who started doing it so they could afford to shoot more, and improve the preformance of factory ammo. I guess I keep doing it for the same reasons. I also like knowing that every gun I shoot will preform at its level best with every pull of the trigger because of the reload being fired in it is the ammo it likes the best.
The most expensive bullet there is ain’t worth a plug nickel if it don’t go where its supposed to.
First it was cheap. .44 Mag Flat top SN 1508

Primers $.50 Per 100
Powder 1.50 Per lb.
Bullets Lead was free
Cases .02 Apiece

Plus it was lots of fun to cast bullets and reload. 1957.

Lou

My Dad has been a reloader for many years, but I personally started because I developed an interest in black powder catridge shooting, specifically a .40-65 so black or smokeless, factory is not an option. Since then the black powder development has lagged behind, but every new gun I buy includes a set of dies and new toys or accessories seem to find their way home frequently. Now all I need is a large supply of bullets and 4350 sold by the 55 gallon drum. BD

I bought a fellow out of the shooting world in 1970. All his dies, a press, two holsters, a Bushnell Phantom scope and assorted brass, bullets and powder. $125.oo Oh yeah, the deal included a 3 screw Super Blackhawk. I could not afford to feed that thing over the counter. It was 1982 before I bought my first CF rifle and began to reload in earnest.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
I started with a mentor simply for fun. Then I started shooting things like 357 and 30 Herretts and 7mm TC/U. You just don't bop down to the sporting goods and pick up a box of those. Now it is back to fun and since I have the equipment already, I am saving money too since I shoot alot of 41s and there are few cheap factory loads for it.
God Bless
Terry
Couldn't afford factory made ammunition... couldn't afford reloading equipment either. A friend had a reloading set-up he didn't use and I took it over for the cost of making hunting rounds for him (he had everything except a box of primers). Then I got hooked on the concept of accuracy and between the two, there was no turning back. It is the idea of "custom made to suit the purpose" that drives me now.

Mike Krall

Visitor Poll:
Why did you first start reloading?
To save money
To duplicate factory ammo
To get ammo for an obsolete caliber
To get better performance than factory ammo
All of the above
Other

It wouldn't let me choose "Other" and "All of the Above" so I had to choose "other.

My first centerfire cartridge that I loaded for was the 30-30, second was the .303 Brit. I shot a lot of mil surp .303, but good factory ammo was scarce and expensive.
So I started reloading to save money. I usually tried to duplicate factory ammo.
Then I got my first centerfire handgun. An Iver Johnsons Cattleman in .45 colt. This was before the advent of CAS and there was only two choices of ammo available. Winchester 255gr lead and Remington 250gr lead.
I wanted factory equivilent loads, but with a better bullet. So I had to start reloading. And I had to start casting my own Keith bullets.
In those days, (mid to late 70's) nobody sold a 250-255 gr SWC of any kind for the .45 Colt. All you could find was the Lyman 454190, or 45 ACP bullets. And almost NOBODY stocked .45 Colt ammo of any kind.
I would go into a gunstore and ask for it, only to be told that nobody shot that old caliber anymore. I took offence at being called a "nobody" and let them know it.
I still don't shoot CAS or the uber +P frame cracking loads that many people like. But I am glad they are there. Because of CAS and Taffin, Linebaugh, and others there is a lot more .45 Colt ammo available now. Unfortunatly, not very much in the standard pressure Keith SWC variety.

So I still reload to get factory spec ammo with SWC's.

Vicious circle, ain't it?

Edited on 5/19/2003 1:02:47 PM.
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Another spin on the same question would be; have the reasons you reload/handload changed since you first started doing it?

I don't think the reasons have changed for me to reload. I just think it's just practical once you own a press to do all calibers you own. What's amazing is that I haven't bought factory ammo in 20 years so I don't know much about price.

However, I did buy 2 boxes of 44 spl recently when I bought the S&W 629 and that cost $19 for 50 rounds. I wasn't happy at the last gun show when I saw that same ammo for $13. But I now have the dies for 44.

Joed

Yes the reasons have changed over the years. I started out to shoot for less, but I fell in love with the practice of relaoding. The feel it gives me to craft something "special", is special. I like the act and actions of relaoading or Handloading if you prefer. I like spending time at the bench, the sorting, the examination, and selection process that ends up creating "just what I wanted". Now days I load, because I like to. The saving money and satisfaction aspects aren't to shabby either. did I mention that I get to shoot a lot more nowdays, than I ever did before? That's fun too.

Buddy Little

All of the above.
The Virginian
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Why did you first start reloading?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Posts: 28  [ Displaying: 1 to 15 ]  Pages: 1 2  [ Displaying Page 1 ]

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 461 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.