Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Is your gun storage (safe, vault, closet) fire proof?
Is where you store your guns fire proof? Many lower end safes arenít, mine isnít, which makes it secure from thieves but not if the house burns down. The next safe I get will be fire proof, or at least have a significant fire rating. $1000-2000 may sound like a lot for a safe, but considering the value of what goes inside itís cheap insurance.

Are your firearms safe, or as safe as possible, from fire?

Don't forget to vote
Previous poll results
John

Weíll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Currently I don't have a safe. The last decade has been a physical and finacial disaster for me and mine. Can't buy anything but necessities.
But I have been giving it a lot of thought. Since I have lived in IL all the houses have had wood floors, and or basements, and one was a two story house.
My wory is how will the weight of a safe, I really don't know how much they weigh, concentrated in one spot, effect the floor?
Putting a safe in the basement on the concrete floor is OK, unless the basement floods like many do here in Springfield. The one we are in now floods like a sinking ship when it rains hard.
If the house we live in was mine, I could consider putting jacks under the safe to keep the weight from collapsing the floor. But all the houses we have lived in are rentals. So I don't want to spend lots of cash on a rental house, and I don't want to tell the landlord about the guns to get his permission to modify the house.

I'm hoping that when we move the house we get has solid floors, preferably concrete so this last concern will be non existant.

Then all I will need to wory about is the correct type of safe to buy.
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
My wory is how will the weight of a safe, I really don't know how much they weigh, concentrated in one spot, effect the floor?

I'd think as long as the weight was across two or three floor joists the weight should be spread out pretty well, but safes are very heavy. An empty safe will easily weigh several hundred pounds with top quality fire proof safes being over 1,000 lbs.
John

Weíll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
J Miller, I think you have a valid concern there. I know when washer and dryers are put on a wood floor, extra support is considered for that very reason. I would think the safes would weight even more.

I do not have a safe either, mainly due to financial considerations. (I'm broke)
God Bless
Terry
Got one,a Nor-Lyx, made in Sweden. The weight is about 400 pounds, 6 mm steel, bolted on the floor and walls.

But I do not believe it is fire safe. No way. Also got an alarm system, still the best safe is Rudolf the German Shepherd.

Got all that stuff because our gun laws practically force you to have a safe. Better get a good one if you do. Yeah,those were the times when I had money...
now I am glad I purchased that safe then.

To be a well known gun nut moose hunter in a small rural town... better be safe than sorry. I am the Finnish alternative for Ted Nugent, now kinda retired from the music business hell.

Not much money these days but lots of guns and time to use them. Add casting... i prefer life this way after all. Born in country,now back home.
"Wild Horses" @ The Rolling Stones
All I have is a gun cabinet.Not fireproof.
Hunt hard,hunt long
Nope if i have a fire and lord forbid, And if I survive Im going to have to collect the insurance.
De Opresso Liber!
Mine is a liberty, the lowest end one they have, I think they retail for about $900 and while it is not fireproof it is very fire resistant. I think it will stand 1200 degrees for 20 minutes without the inside getting hot enough to char paper. I'd have to look at the papers again. I think it weighs around 4-5 hundred pounds empty.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Is your gun storage (safe, vault, closet) fire proof?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 510 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.