Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Do you have any custom firearms?
Do you have any custom firearms? I'm thinking of more than just slapping on a set of aftermarket grips, all but about 2 of my guns would be custom if that were included. Do you have any really customized guns? I only have one. A 1911 (doesn't everyone have a custom 1911? hehe) that started out a stock Norinco and became a platform for me to learn some gunsmithing. Now it's about like a stock Kimber, but back when that work was done there weren't any "stock" guns with those modifications.

No custom rifles or revolvers yet though.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
The only one I have that is semi-custom is my short RSRH. I have done some work to all of my regularly used guns, but nothing that I would call "Custom"

What is "Custom" anyways? Is that doing a trigger job, smoothing the action, accurizing, new stocks or grips, converting to another caliber, sights, and engraving?

I saw a gun I that I would really consider a custom gun in a magazine a while back, it was an old smith 38/44 or normal 357, that had been rechambered to 45 colt, had ivory grips, and a blue so deep you could lose yourself in it.
Joe44

Chance favors the prepared mind.
I have two guns that I would call custom, a 1911 widebody that I had built for me and an FAL that I built just to suit me. Everything else is nearly box stock.

"Custom" can cover a lot of ground, from having someone like Clark guns build your "perfect .45" to ye olde Mauser sporterized rifle. The closest I come to custom is a Mexican Mauser now in .257 Roberts complete with double set triggers, obligatory bent bolt handle and a beautiful New Zealand walnut stock I'm in the process of finishing.
Not even in the running compared to say, a Rigby Mauser, but it's right for me. BD

IMHO:
Stock you buy over the counter.
Modified stock is what most folks do to tune arms.
Custom is built to order for fit and function.
Art may be any of the above or none; it is art, and that's not really a bad thing.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Well said Max - but I owe you one, you just made all my "custom" guns, "modified".
I don’t have obsessions - I like to think of it as being highly focused.
Is it custom if you do the work yourself?

I have guns that have been "built" by smiths for me. Guns that have been modified by smiths for me. And guns that have been changed by smiths for me.

And I have guns that's I'VE done a lot more work and changes to than some of the "Smith'd" guns.
.45 Throats for Pete’s sake. www.Cylindersmith.com
Using MAX's format I'd have to say I have a "Modified Stock" Ruger OMBH.
Basically I replaced the "too short" front sight with a taller one.
Replaced the aluminum EJ housing with a steel one.
And replaced the XR3-RED grip frame with a XR3 grip frame.
I also replaced the the 45 Colt cylinder because it was botched, and added a .45 ACP cylinder.

Yep, Modified Stock, no real custom guns. Boo Hoo.
"If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
I own only one custom job.
I have a Remington XP100 that started out life as a .221 Fireball. I've already worn out a barrel in 7 IHMSA; I had it rebarreled last year to 6.5 BR with a PacNor stainless fluted match barrel with an 8" twist. The gun sports a HS Precision fiberglass stock with an aluminum bedding block and a cool two tone metallic blue/purple paint job.
Good Shooting,
Chuck in the Bluegrass
a custom 2506 mauser action douglas barrel AAA french walnut. A .500 and .475 linebaug built by the master anohter .500 being built. a .41 mag and .44 special that should be here anytime being built by dave clements and a .41 special single six under constuction.
sixgun addict
Before the hosting company restored a several day old version of the database Forkhorn asked for pictures of my 1911, here they are again:

http://www.handloads.com/images/Cust1911_lg.jpg
http://www.handloads.com/images/Cust1911_lg_02.jpg
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
Lucky Lloyd! Only in regards to the reputation of the 'smith is source significant. Some build guns that hold their value or even appreciate like David Miller. I have modified some of my rifles, but for the most part it is not visable. Have one "used to be custom" but since I own it now, it's just a really nice piece.
Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Handloads.Com ForumGeneral DiscussionPoll: Do you have any custom firearms?

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 465 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2017 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.