Handloads.Com Forum
Handloads.Com | Forum Home | Active Topics | Register | Log In | FAQ

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Handloads.Com ForumLong Gunsneed loading data for WC-852
Can anyone help me with loading data for WC 852 powder--it is advertised as similar to H 380. My main interest would be loading .30-06 with 150gr bullets for a Browning 1919 Semi-auto Machine gun.
Can you substitute loading data for H 380? Please reply, I can't afford to buy commercial .30-06 in large quantities just to plink.

Most of what I've been able to find out says that WC 852 might be the same as H380. Apparently there are at least 2 distinct burn rates for WC 852, one faster than the other.

Here's one post from about 5 years ago:

1998/07/04
Military production WC852 has run the gambit of burning rates from roughly H335 to H450 (Hodgdon numbers). It just depends on the lot number you have. Most of the WC852 recently released by the govt were waivered lots, which had been restricted for use in machine gun ammunition only, due to the unusually slow burning rate. If you do have some of the waivered WC852, then use of it in full pressure loads will ultimately bend the operating rod. Chamber pressure is not the problem, but the port pressure. You can use these waivered lots, but to do so without harming the op rod, you must load downwards to 50-52 grains, which is OK for the op rod, but the velocities will be around 2200-2300fps. Save the WC852 for your .30-06 bolt gun.

Jeff Bartlett

This may also help:

WC852 has a (general) burning rate somewhat slower than H414 - and that *starting* data can be used safely to get you started.

I found several people saying that WC852 was closer to H414 than H380, but most of the posts said to use the load recommendations that came with the powder.

I hope this helps.
John

We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing; whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Molon Labe!
The military used IMR 4895 until IMR 4064 was invented after WW2, the 4895 was dirty on the ports and 4064 burned much cleaner, 47.0 grains with the 175MK is the old match load.
Jeff Auton
North Pole, Alaska
Handloads.Com ForumLong Gunsneed loading data for WC-852

Please visit the new forum to start a new thread

Forum Stats
1,129 members posted 19,382 messages in 2,272 threads / 9 topics / 3 categories.
User Name
Password

Auto log in? (requires cookies)
Please welcome our newest member : Jamesfromjersey
There are currently 156 guests and 0 members on the boards.
BK Forum v.3.0 © 2001 - 2014 Black Knight Development. All Right Reserved.